MediaTek has just announced its new Dimensity 720 5G chipset for mid-range smartphones.
The Dimensity 720 SoC is based on 7nm process and comes with most power-efficient 5G modem in its class. It is built with MediaTek 5G UltraSave technology which uses both network and content awareness intelligence to mange modems operating mode in real-time to extend battery life.
The Dimensiy 720 SoC supports FHD+ 21:9 displays with up to 90Hz refresh rate for smooth gaming. It further enhances video stream capabilities with MiraVision HDR10+ video playback and supports features like dynamic range remapping.
It supports up to 64MP single camera or 20MP + 16MP dual camera setup and comes with several AI camera enhancements powered by MediaTek’s integrated APU (AI processing unit).
There is an integrated Voice Wakeup (VoW) to minimize power consumption of always-on voice assistants and dual mi noise suppression. The chipset supports two carrier aggregation (2CC CA), Voice over New Radio (VoNR) and 5G and 4G dual SIM, dual standby (DSDS) to provide users with the best possible connection.
The Dimensity 720 features in two ARM Cortex-A76 big cores opearting at 2GHz coupled with six Cortex-A55 cores clocked at 2GHz. It is paried with ARM Mali-G57 class GPU, supports LPDDR4X memory and UFS 2.2 storage.
MediaTek Dimensity 720 Specifications
- Process: 7nm
- CPU: Up to 2Ghz Cortex-A76 x 2 + Up to 2GHz Cortex-A55 x 6 (Octa-cores 64-bit with Heterogeneous multi-processing)
- GPU: ARM Mali-G57 MC3
- Memory: LPDDR4X up to 12GB (2133MHz)
- Storage: UFS 2.2-class
- AI: MediaTek APU
- Display: 2520x 1080 pixels (Full HD+) at 21:9 aspect ratio, up to 90Hz refresh rate
- Camera: 64MP @ 22fps or 20MP + 16MP @ 30fps
- Camera features: HDR-ISP, Multi-Frame NR, 3D Noise Reduction, Depth Engine, Warping Engine, AI-FD
- Video decoding: 4K 30fps, H.264/265/VP9
- Video encoding: 4K 30fps, H.264/265
- Modem: 5G up to 2CC 234Gbps, SA & NSA, Sub-6GHz, 5G+4G
- Cellular Technologies: 2G / 3G / 4G / 5G Multi-Mode, 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), EDGE, 4G FDD / TDD, 5G FDD / TDD, GSM, TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- Specific functions: SA & NSA modes; SA Option2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR TDD Band, NR FDD Band, DSS, NR DL 2CC, 100 MHz bandwidth, 256QAM NR UL 2CC, 256QAM VoNR / EPS fallback
- Connectivity: Up to 2×2 Wi-Fi 5 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac (Wi-Fi Antenna: 1T1R, 2T2R), Bluetooth V5.1
- Location: GPS / QZSS L1+ L5 / Galileo E1 + E5a / BeiDou B1C + B2a / NAVIC
The Dimensity 720 is designed for global sub-6GHz 5G networks in Asia, North America and Europe. Exact availability timeline was not revealed by company.