Apple iPad range gets new Operating system which company is calling it as iPadOS. It is built on foundations laid by iOS and adds features specific to larger displays of iPad.
Apple iPadOS Features
- New Home Screen: The home screen gets a new layout which allow pages to show more apps. Today view can now be added to Home screen, allowing quick access to widgets
- Split View and Slide Over: Its new Split View feature allows iPad users to work with multiple files and documents from the same application simultaneously. Users can quickly view or switch between apps in Slide over
- Enhancements for Apple Pencil: The iPadOS integrates Apple Pencil to its core. The OS allows users to mark up and send entire webpages, documents or emails on iPad by swiping Apple Pencil from the corner of screen. It has redisgned tool palette for quick access to tools, colour palettes, shapes, object eraser etc. It also adds Advanced Prediction algorithms and gives a more natural feel
- More Powerful Files App: With iPadOS, Files App gets iCloud Drive support for folder sharing. The OS also supports external drives allowing users to easily plug in USB drives, SD cards or Log in to an SMB file server from within Files app. It also adds Column View with high-res previews for easy navigation. It has local storage, Zip / unZip and new keyboard shortcuts.
- Browsing with Safari: The Apple iPadOS now offers desktop class browsing using Safari. It automatically presents desktop version of website which is scaled appropriately for iPad displays and optimizes it for touch.
- Dark Mode delivers a dramatic dark colour scheme that looks great across the system and is easier on the eyes in low-light environments.
- Custom Fonts can be installed for use across the system, perfect for creating beautiful documents on iPad. Fonts from boutique and major vendors such as Adobe, DynaComware, Monotype, Morisawa and Founder will be available on the App Store.
- A new floating keyboard saves space and includes support for QuickPath — making one-handed typing easy and leaving more room to display apps. Customers can pinch in to enable the floating keyboard and drag it anywhere on the screen.
- Photos curates the library to highlight the best images, automatically hiding clutter and similar photos to showcase significant events from the past day, month or year. Photo editing is more intuitive with new tools that are easier to apply, adjust and review, and almost all photo editing capabilities are available for video editing.
- Sign In with Apple is a fast, easy and private way to sign in to apps and websites using Apple ID.
- Maps features a new basemap, built from the ground up: Look Around with beautiful street-level imagery of cities using high-resolution 3D photography; Collections for a new way to share restaurants, shops or destinations; and Favourites for quick navigation to frequent locations.1
- Performance improvements make the entire system more responsive with faster Face ID unlock, and a new way to package iPad apps on the App Store that reduces download sizes by up to 50 percent, makes app updates up to 60 percent smaller, and results in apps launching up to twice as fast.
The Apple Developer Program members will get iPadOS starting today. It will be available for Public beta program users later this month. The iPadOS will be available this fall as a free software update for iPad Air 2 and later, all iPad Pro models, iPad 5th Generation and alater and iPad Mini 4 and later models.