Samsung has officially unveiled its latest flagship SoC for smartphones called Exynos 1080. It is based on 5nm EUV process technology and consists of of tri-cluster CPU’s.
The CPU’s inside this new Exynos Chipset include a single 2.8GHz A78 core for ultimate processing, three 2.6GHz A78 cores for ultimate performance and four 2GHz A55 cores for power efficiency. The CPU is paired with Integrated NPU with DSP capable of delivering 5.7 TOPs.
For graphics and gaming performance, Samsung Exynos 1080 SoC features in ARM Mali-G78 MP10 GPU which is based on 2nd Gen Valhall architecture. Samsung claims that GPU is 2.3 times powerful than its predecessor in Mahattan V3 standard.
The Exynos 1080 chipset supports LPDDR5 RAM with 5500 MB/s data rates. It has support for UFS 3.1 storage as well. The chipset easily handles QHD+ resolutions at 90Hz refresh rate or FHD+ at 144Hz refresh rate. It also boasts support for 10-bit video and HDR display.
The SoC integrates 5G modem which works with both sub-6GHz and mmWave networks. It can deliver downlink speeds up to 5.1Gbps. For optics, EXYNOS 1080 handles single 2000MP shooter or 32MP + 32MP dual shooters easily.
For connectivity, it has Wi-Fi 6 802.11ax and Bluetooth V5.2. Positioning is handled by GPS / GLONASS / Beidou / Galileo.
Samsung Exynos 1080 specifications
- Process: 5nm EUV (Extreme Ultra Violet) lithiography process technology
- CPU: 2.8GHz Cortex-A78 x 1 for Ultimate processing + 2.6GHz Cortex-A78 x 3 for Ultimate performance + 2GHz Cortex-A55 x 4 for efficiency (OCTA-CORES)
- GPU: ARM Mali-G78 MP10 with Valhall architecture
- NPU: Integrated NPU with DSP (5.7 TOPs)
- Memory: LPDDR4X / LPDDR5
- Storage: UFS 3.1
- Display: 3360 x 1440 pixels WQHD+ at 90Hz / FHD+ at 144Hz
- Modem: 5G NR Sub-6GHz 5.1Gbps (DL) / 1.28Gbps (UL), 5G NR mmWave 3.67Gbps (DL) / 3.67Gbps (UL), LTE Cat.18 6CA 1.2Gbps (DL), Cat.18 2CA 200Mbps (UL)
- Camera: Single camera up to 200MP, Dual-camera 32MP + 32MP
- Video: 4K 60fps encoding and decoding with HEVC(H.265)/H.264/VP8/VP9 (10bit only with HEVC & VP9)
- Positioning: GPS / GLONASS / Beidou / Galileo
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 6 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, Bluetooth V5.2, FM Radio
The Samsung Exynos 1080 will power smartphones in 2021. VIVO will be one of the first to deliver a mobile with Exynos 1080 chipset.