Samsung Electronics has officially unveiled its latest mobile processor called EXYNOS 2200. It is a freshly designed mobile chipset that houses powerful AMD RDNA 2 architecture based Samsung Xclipse graphics processing unit (GPU).
The Xclipse GPU is a hybrid graphics processor that is positioned between console and mobile graphics processor. It leverages advanced graphics features like hardware accelerated ray tracing (RT) and variable rate shading (VRS) that is seen in PCs, laptops and consoles.
The Samsung Exynos 2200 comes with various other technologies like advanced multi-IP governor (AMIGO) that enhances overall performance and efficiency. It has a more powerful on-device artificial intelligence (AI) with an upgraded NPU.
The NPU’s performance is twice when compared with predecessor. It allows more calculations in parallel and enhances AI performance. The NPU now offers much higher precision with FP16 (16-bit floating point) support in addition to power efficient INT8 (8bit integer) and INT16.
Exynos 2200 integrates a fast 3GPP Release 16 5G modem supporting both sub-6GHz and mmWave (millimeter Wave) spectrum bands. With E-Utran New Radio – Dual Connectivity (EN-DC), which utilizes both 4G LTE and 5G NR signals. The modem can boost the speed up to 10Gbps.
For safety and security, EXYNOS 2200 comes with Integrated Secure Element (iSE) to store private Cryptographic keys as well as to play a role as RoT (Toot of Trust). It has an inline encrypticion HW for UFS and DRAM which has been reinforced to have user data encryption safely shared only within secure domain.
This new Samsung Exynos Chipset 2200 comes with Image signal processor (ISP) architecture that has been redesigned to support up to 200MP ultra-high resolution sensors. At 30fps, SP handles up to 108MP in single camera mode and 64MP + 36MP in dual camera mode. The chip can connect up to secen individual image sensors and drive four concurrently for advanced multi-camera setup.
Samsung Exynos 2200 specifications and features
- Process: 4nm EUV process technology
- CPU: Octa-Core (One Cortex-X2 for Ultimate processing + Three Cortex-A710 for optimal performance + Four Cortex-A510 for Optimized Efficiency)
- GPU: Samsung Xclipse 920 with AMD RDNA 2 architecture, Ray Tracing (Hardware Accelerated), VRS (Variable Rate Shading)
- AI: AI Engine with dual-core NPU and DSP
- 5G NR Sub-6Hz 5.1Gbps (DL) / 2.55Gbps (UL)
- 5G NR mmWave 7.35Gbps (DL) / 3.67Gbps (UL)
- LTE Cat.24 8CA 3Gbps (DL) / Cat 22 4CA 422Mbps (UL)
- Display: 4K / WQUXGA @ 120Hz, QHD+ @ 1440Hz
- Memory: LPDDR5
- Storage: UFS V3.1
- Camera: Up to 200MP in single camera model, Single 108MP @ 30fps, Dual camera 64MP + 32MP @ 30fps
- Up to 8K decoding: 60fps with 10-bit HEVC (H.265), 30fps with 10-bit VP9, AV1
- Up to 8K encoding: 30fps with 10-bit HEVC (H.265), VP9
- GNSS: GPS / GLONASS / Beidou / Galileo
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi6 802.11 ax, Bluetooth V5.2
- Security: Integrated Secure Element (iSE), inline Encryption HW for UFS and DRAM
The Exynos 2200 SoC is currently in mass production. It is expected to power Samsung Galaxy S22 series.