Samsung Electronics has unveiled its new Exynos 980 processor with integrated 5G modem. It is based on advanced 8-nanometer (nm) FinFET process and Samsung’s first Artificial Intelligence (AI) mobile processor with 5G modem.
The Samsung Exynos 980 can run multiple apps, intricate UX designs and high resolution graphic games effortlessly thanks to its powerful CPU and GPU. It has two Cortex-A77 CPU cores and six efficient Cortex-A55 cores and is equipped with top-of-the-line Mali-G76 GPU.
It features in Neural Processing Unit (NPU) which offers 2.7 times performance than its predecessor. The NPU is built into Exynos 980 chipset and offers new levels of on-device intelligence, better data privacy and security. It further enhances apps for secure user authentication, content filtering, mixed reality, intelligent camera and much more.
The Exynos 980 can handle camera sensors with resolution up to 108 Mega Pixels (MP). It comes with advanced image signal processor (ISP) and supports up to five individual sensors. Thanks to its AI capabilities, it can detect and understand scenes or objects and make optimal adjustments in settings. Not to mention its multi-format codec (MFC) which supports encoding / decoding of 4K UHD videos at 120fps. HDR10+ is also supported.
Samsung Exynos 980 Specifications
- Process: 8nm FinFET
- CPU: 2.2GHz Cortex-A77 Dual-Core + 1.8GHz Cortex-A55 Hexa-core (OCTA-CORE)
- GPU: Mali-G76 MP5
- NPU: Integrated
- Memory: LPDDR4X
- Storage: UFS 2.1, eMMC 5.1
- Display: WQHD+ (3360 x 1440 pixels)
- Rear: Single Camera up to 108MP OR Dual Camera of 20MP + 20MP
- Front: Single 22MP or Dual 16MP + 16MP
- Encoding and Decoding: HEVC (H.265), HS.264, VP9, HDR10+ with dynamic mapping
- Connectivity: 5G NR Sub-6GHz 2.55Gbps (DL) / 1.28Gbps (UL), LTE Cat.16 5CA 1Gbps (DL) / Cat.18 2CA 200Mbps (UL)
- Wi-Fi: Supports Wi-Fi 6 standards, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax
The Samsung Exynos 980 is expected to go in mass production by end of 2019.