Samsung has officially unveiled its latest flagship chipset called Exynos 990. It is successor to Exynos 980 SoC and made using 7nm EUV (Extreme Ultra Violet) process.
The Samsung Exynos 990 comes with two custom M5 cores for top notch performance, two Cortex-A76 CPU’s for optimal performance and four Cortex-A55 power efficient CPUs.
It has Mali–G77 MP11 premium GPU for graphics. It is based on Valhall architecture and promises 20% improved performance and efficiency when compared with Mali-G76 MP12 GPU present in Exynos 9820.
The chipset also comes with dual-core Neural Processing Unit (NPU). its digital signal processor (DSP) has been improved to perform 10-trillion operations (TOPs) per second. It supports LPDDR5 Memory with data rates up to 5500Mbps.
The Exynos 990 can handle 120Hz displays with UHD or WQUXGA resolutions. It supports a single 108MP shooter or dual 24.8MP snappers. It can also handle 8K at 30fps or 4K at 120fps.
The Exynos 990 SoC when combined with Samsung’s new Exynos Modem 5123 5G supports blazing fast download speeds of up to 7.35Bps in mmWave and 5.1Gbps in sub-6GHz setting with up to 8x carrier aggregation.
In 4G LTE mode, it supports up to 3Gbps of downlink speed and up to 422Mbps of uplink speed. The Exynos Modem 5123 also supports E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC) which combines LTE and 5G for maximum speeds. The Modem is also built on most advanced 7nm EUV process and is equipped with diverse power-saving technologies.
Samsung Exynos 990 Specifications
- Process: 7nm EUV
- CPU: Dual Core (Custom Exynos M5 Ultimate Performance CPU) + Dual Core (Cortex-A76 for Optimal Performance) + Quad-Core (Cortex-A55 optimized for Efficiency)
- NPU: Dual Core + DSP >10 TOPs
- GPU: Mali-G77 MP11
- Display: WQUXGA (3840 x 2400), 4K UHD (4096 x 2160). Supports 120Hz refresh rate display driver
- RAM: LPDDR5 (2750MHz)
- Storage: UFS 3.0, URS 2.1
- Camera: Single 108MP OR Dual 24.8MP + 24MP
- Video: 8K at 30fps or 4K UHD at 120fps encoding and decoding with 10bit- HEVC (H.265), H.264, VP9
- Modem: Exynos Modem 5123
- 5G NR 7.35Gbps (DL) mmWave / Sub-6GHz 5.1Gbps (DL) 8x CA / 4G 3.0Gbps Cat.24 (DL) / 422Mbps Cat.22 (UL), 1024 QAM
- E-UTRA-NR Dual Connectivity (EN-DC): Combines 5G and LTE to maximize mobile download link
- Security: DRAM Encryption engine, Physically Unclonable Funtion (PUF), Integrated Secure Element (iSE) layer
The Exynos 990 Chipset and Exynos Modem 5123 are expect to go in mass production by end of 2019.