MediaTek has unveiled its latest 5G SoC for mid-range smartphones called Dimensity 800U. It is a 7nm chipset that supports 5G + 5G dual SIM Dual Standny (DSDS) technology.
The chipset has support for sub-6GHz SA and NSA networks along with Dual Voice over New Radio (VoNR) and 5G two carrier aggregation (2CC 5G-CA) for faster and stable 5G connections.
It has MediaTek 5G UltraSave technology which manages modem’s operating mode based on network environments, data transmission quality, thus extending battery life of smartphones.
The MediaTek Dimensity 800U features in octa-cores making up of dual-clusters of two 2.4GHz Cortex-A76 cores and six 2GHz Cortex-A55 cores. It is backed by Mali-G57 MC3 GPU.
The SoC supports FHD+ resolution and displays with up to 120Hz refresh rates for smooth gaming. It has HDR10+ support integrates MediaTek MiraVision PQ engine with HDR optimizations.
It also supports flexible camera placement with up to 64MP cameras and quad-camera capabilities. It has integrated APU and ISP for AI camera enhancements. There is support for Voice on Wake (VoW) and Dual-mic noise reduction technology.
MediaTek Dimensity 800U Specifications
- Process: TSMC 7nm
- CPU: Octa-cores (2.4GHz Cortex-A76 x 2 + 2GHz Cortex-A55 x 6) 64-bit cores with Heterogeneous Multi-processing support
- GPU: Mali-G57 MC3
- AI: AI Accelerator
- Memory: Up to 12GB LPDDR4X RAM (2133MHz) and UFS 2.2 storage
- Display: Up to 2520 x 1080 pixels Full HD+ Resolution at 21:9 aspect ratio and up to 120Hz refresh rate
- Cameras: 64MP, 20MP + 16MP (Max Camera ISP) with 3840 x 2160 pixels Max Video capture resolution. Supports HDR-ISP, Multi-Frame NR, 3D Noise Reduction, Depth Engine, Warping Engine, AI-FD
- Video Encoding and Playback: H.264, H.265 / HEVC (Encoding and Playback – 4K at 30fps)
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 5 (a/b/g/n/ac), Bluetooth V5.1
- Wi-Fi Antenna: 1T1R, 2T2R
- GNSS: GPS / QZSS L1 + L5 / Galileo E1 + E5a / Beidou B1C + B2a / NAVIC
- Cellular Technologies: 2G / 3G / 4G / 5G Multi-Mode, 4G Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), EDGE, 4G FDD / TDD, 5G FDD / TDD, GSM, TD-SCDMA, WDCDMA
- Specific functions: SA & NSA modes; SA Option 2, NSA Option3 / 3a / 3x, NR TDD Band, NR FDD Band, DSS, NR DL 2CC, 100 MHz bandwidth, 4×4 MIMO, 256QAM, NR UL 2CC, 2×2 MIMO, 256QAM, VoNR / EPS fallback
- Peak Download speeds: 2.3Gbps
The MediaTek Dimensity 5G SoC will start rolling out soon and is expected to drive mass market of 5G smartphones.
Dr. Yenchi Lee, Deputy General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communications Business Unit said –
MediaTek has always focused on enhancing the user experience with our leading semiconductor technology, whether consumers are streaming, gaming or taking photos. MediaTek’s Dimensity 800U brings cutting-edge, next-gen technology to the Dimensity SoC series, bringing MediaTek’s advanced 5G, imaging and multimedia technologies to high-performance 5G smartphones that deliver incredible 5G experiences.