MediaTek has officially announced its latest Helio P Series chipset called Helio P22. It is specially aimed for mid-range smartphones.
It not only offers high speed connectivity but also brings benefits of AI accelerated experience and enhanced photography. It’s Edge AI enhancements are powered by MediaTek NeuroPilot and makes use of common AI frameworks (TensorFlow, TF Lite, Caffe and Caffe2).
The MediaTek Helio P22 features in AI accelerated camera which includes Face ID, Smart Photo album, Single camera and dual-camera depth of field etc. It has hardware-driven dual camera support (13MP + 8MP) and captures real-time Bokeh preview thanks to hardware depth engine. Additionally, Advanced 3A and MediaTek’s Camera Control Unit (CCU) hardware allows users to quick-capture moments on the move.
The Helio P22 chipset is built with 12nm TSMC FinFET Technology. The manufacturing process leverages MediaTek’s CorePilot technology to delivery high performance and reduce power consumption. It is an octa-core SoC with ARM Cortex-A53 processor which operates at up to 2GHz.
The SoC also supports Dual SIM cards and offers fast LTE connectivity. It is also more than capable to handle Wi-Fi 802.11ac, Bluetooth V5.0, 4-Satellite System etc. Moreover, the chip easily handles 20:9 HD+ display (1600 x 720 pixels).
MediaTek Helio P22 Specifications
- TSMC 12nm process
- 1600 x 720 pixels maximum display resolution
- Up to 2GHz octa-core Cortex-A53 (64-bit) processor
- IMG PowerVR GE8320 GPU (650MHz maximum GPU Frequency)
- up to 4GB LPDDR3 (933MHz), up to 6GB LPDDR4X (1600MHz) Memory
- eMMC 5.1 Storage type
- Single 21MP or 13MP + 8MP dual cameras. Capture 30Fps, AI Face ID, AI Smart Photo Album, Single/Dual Camera Bokeh, Hardware Warping Engine (EIS), Rolling Shutter Compensation (RSC) engine, MEMA 3DNR, Multi-Frame Noise reduction
- Video Decoding of h.264, h.265 / HEVC at 30 fps
- CorePilot, Imagiq, MiraVision, NeuroPilot, Pump Express, Tiny Sensor Hub
- LTE Category of Cat4, Cat7 DL / Cat13 UL
- Carrier Aggregation (CA), CDMA2000 1x/EVDO Rev. A (SRLTE), FDD / TDD LTE, HSP+
- VoLTE, ViLTE, WoWi-Fi, eMBMS, Dual 4G VoLTE (DSDS), Band 71, TAS 2.0, HUPE
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth V5.0, FM Radio, GPS/GLONASS/Galileo/Beidou
The MediaTek Helio P22 is expected to arrive in smartphones by end of Q2 2018. It is already in production.
TL Lee, General Manager of MediaTek’s Wireless Communication business unit. said –
Our latest generation of Helio chips, such as the P60, have generated significant interest and exceeded our expectations. The continued customer demand we’re witnessing validates our focus on the growing mid-market segment and its clear consumers have an appetite for innovative devices that offer outstanding features at an affordable price point.
With support for high quality dual camera photography, AI enhancements and incredible power efficiency, the Helio P22 sets a new bar for accessibility to premium features. We expect continued device maker wins and consumer growth in this segment with MediaTek’s new Helio P22 chipset.