To cater demand for next generation smartwatches, Qualcomm has announced Snapdragon Wear 4100 (MSM8909W) and Snapdragon Wear 4100+ (APQ8009W) platforms.
These are based on ultra-low power hybrid architecture with 4100+ offering a super-fast System-on-Chip, Smarter Co-processor (always on) and enhanced performance. Both the chipsets are based on 12nm process technology.
The new SoC is designed to deliver 85% higher performance when compared to Snapdragon Wear 3100 platform. It delivers faster app launches, more responsive UX and richer photo / video experience.
The AON Co-processor now supports up to 64K colors and extends offload experiences to include continuous heart rate monitoring, faster tilt-to-wake responsiveness, steps, alarms, timers and haptics.
The Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 4100 sports Immersive Interactive mode for more immersive experience with camera, voice assistant, voice / video messaging and richer watch faces. The Richer Ambient mode supports up to 64K colors and number kerning for rich, colorful watch faces. The powerful sports mode brings GPS connectivity, offline maps and heart rate monitoring. The Enhanced Traditional watch model utilizes the co-processor in an RTOS environment.
Qualcomm Snapdragon Wear 4100 and 4100+ Specifications
- Main Processor: 12nm Quad-core Arm Cortex A53 up to 1.7 GHz optimized for wearables
- Designed to support always-on experiences: enhanced ambient mode, sports mode, and traditional watch mode.
- Works alone or in conjunction with the main processory
- Small footprint: ~21mm2
- Cortex M0 processor
- Integrates custom designed SRAM, dedicated PMU, a deep learning engine for custom workloads, and range of IOs
- Runs highly efficient event-driven RTOS
- GPU: Adreno 504 GPU (up to 320MhZ): Open GL ES3.1 optimized power for wearables
- Dual Qualcomm Hexagon QDSP6 v56
- Dedicated MDSP for modem and GPS
- Dedicated ADSP for Open Sensor Execution Environment (SEE) and audio
- 10×10 ePoP memory
- Supports between 4×4 and 8×8 configurations
- 750 MHz LPDDR3, eMMC 4.5
- Up to 1080p 30fps, optimized for wearables
- Supports MIPI-DSI forthe core baseband and SPI for the QCC1110 co-processor
- Bluetooth 5.0 (Qualcomm WCN3610, Qualcomm WCN3980)
- Bluetooth 4.2 (Qualcomm WCN3620, Qualcomm WCN3660B)
- 802.11a/b/g/n (2.4GHz)
- Qualcomm Location technology
- USB 2.0yIntegrated NFC with support from NXP
- Integrated X5 LTE Global Mode modem, supporting LTE FDD, LTE TDD, 1x Adv, EV-DO Rev. A, TD-SCDMA and GSM/EDGE
- Right sized for wearables to operate in Cat 4, 3 and 1 configurations
- Approved by >100 global network operators
- Qualcomm Snapdragon modem and GPS RF (Qualcomm WTR2965)
- RFFE with Gallium Arsenide PAs (Qualcomm QPA4360, Qualcomm QSW8573, Qualcomm QET4101)
- Power Management:
- New wearable PMIC optimized for low power and high integration
- Integrates battery charging, fuel gauge, and haptics driver functionality
- 5.05mm x 5.64mm
- Gen 8C Satellite: GPS, Glonass, Beidou, Galileo
- Terrestrial: Wi-Fi, Cellular
- Qualcomm Sensor Assisted Positioning for Wearables
- Audio and Voice:
- Qualcomm Voice Suite
- Qualcomm Voice Noise Suppression and Echo Cancellation
- Qualcomm Voice Activation
- Qualcomm Aqstic audio codec and speaker amplifier
- RF Front End:
- Qualcomm RF Front End (RFFE) Solution
- MMPA covering all LTE bands (Qualcomm QPA8675)
- TX FEM (GSM PA+SPI14T switch) (Qualcomm QPA8685)
- APT Tracker (Qualcomm QET4101)
- Security Features:
- Qualcomm Processor Security features
- Qualcomm Trusted Execution Environment (TEE) 4.0.5
- Operating System:
- Snapdragon Wear 4100+ supports Wear OS by Google
- Snapdragon Wear 4100 supports Wear OS by Google and Android Open Source
Several smartwatch’s powered by Snapdragon Wear 4100 platform are already in pipeline. imoo will soon announce its Z6 Ultra smartwatch with Snapdragon Wear 4100 and will ship over next 30 days. Mobvoi Tic Watch Pro is also in works.